Dear 17th IHIWS Participants,
Thank you for registering for the 17th International HLA & Immunogenetics Workshop. We look forward to seeing you in Monterey! The current agenda is posted here. Below are some reminders & updates to keep in mind before you arrive.
Event App: Please download the mobile event app before you arrive so that you can view the complete agenda and access maps & workshop information: http://hca.io/e/y7uc6y
or use this QR code to download to your phone via your app store:
Workshop Location: The workshop is taking place at the Asilomar Conference Grounds in Pacific Grove, CA. The address is: 800 Asilomar Ave, Pacific Grove, CA 93950. See the Asilomar website for more details about the conference grounds. For a map of the Asilomar meeting space, please click here.
Registration Location & Welcome Reception: Registration will be open from 3:00-7:00 PM on Wednesday, Sept. 6 in Merrill Hall near the lodging check-in. The welcome talk & reception will occur after dinner from 7:00-9:30 PM in Merrill Hall. Come meet your fellow attendees at the reception and enjoy light bites and beverages. We ask that all attendees pick up their name badge and keep it on at all times during the workshop so that staff can tell you are part of the group.
Registration/Information Desk: The registration desk will be located in Merrill Hall on Thursday from 7:30-3:30pm and Fri-Sun from 8am-3pm. The desk will be closed from 12:00-1:00 PM each day during the lunch break.
Getting to Asilomar Conference Grounds
- Check out the Asilomar Travel & Directions page for links to maps and public transit.
- Monterey Airbus provides shuttle airport transportation to and from San Jose Mineta Airport (SJC) and San Francisco Airport (SFO). You can book online at: https://www.montereyairbus.com/
- Ground Transportation information, including rental car information is located here:
Parking: Complimentary self-parking is available at Asilomar.
Speakers: Please check the current agenda posted online to confirm your speaking time & location (there may be updates)!
Weather / Attire: The average forecasted temperature in the Monterey Bay area for early September is 53º-70ºF (Weather.com information). Please note: Monterey mornings and nights can be cold, windy & foggy. As the meeting rooms are spread out on the grounds, and this event will occur both inside and outdoors, we strongly encourage dressing in layers. “California casual” is acceptable for all workshop and evening activities. We recommend comfortable walking shoes. Sunglasses, sunscreen, umbrellas and hats are optional, useful items. A warm sweater or jacket and a warm hat are highly suggested for evenings!
Meals: If you are staying at Asilomar, your meals are included with your lodging in the Crocker Dining Hall. Coffee & refreshment breaks will be located in Merrill Hall and are included for all workshop attendees. The Saturday evening closing “strolling dinner” will take place outside in the Asilomar BBQ & Meadow area.
Internet Access: WiFi is complimentary in both the guest rooms and meeting rooms at Asilomar. If you plan to bring a laptop, please note that there are few power outlets within the facility; we recommend bringing extra batteries.
Printing: We will have one self-service printing, copy & fax station for workshop attendees to use at no charge, located in Merrill Hall, next to the registration desk. There is an additional business center located in the Asilomar Social Hall where guests can print & make copies (pay per use).
- Wine Tasting – Friday, Sept 8 (7:30pm – 9:30pm) SeaScape Room
Enjoy tasting award-winning Monterey County wine varietals after dinner with “A Taste of Monterey.” These wines are examples of some of the finest wines in the state.
- Closing Dinner & Party – Saturday, Sept 9 (7:00pm – 10:00pm)
The closing dinner & celebration will take place outdoors in the Asilomar BBQ & Meadow area. Enjoy a strolling dinner of Monterey and Californian specialties and the sunny, feel good tunes of our California beach band “Wild Blue.” Each attendee will receive two drink tickets for this event tucked in their name badge. NOTE: Event will take place outdoors and it can get chilly near the beach~ please dress warmly!
- Post-Workshop Shuttle Transportation to San Francisco (ASHI – Hilton SF Union Square)
- Attendees who have purchased a ticket: Shuttles to San Francisco will depart outside Merrill Hall @ 5:30pm on Sunday, 9/10
- Councilors: There will be one shuttle designated for Councilors departing @ 5:30pm on Sunday, 9/10. This shuttle will transport Councilors to dinner and then continue on to San Francisco (ASHI – Hilton SF Union Square).
- Sightseeing – For those with extra time to explore the area, check out the Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau website for local attractions or find out where to go in San Francisco on the San Francisco Travel
We look forward to seeing you soon!
17th IHIWS Organizing Committee